11-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Agree 100% about the old prejudices no longer mattering even if they do linger on.

So for the brakes... As per my earlier post I felt there was a noticeable difference between he brakes on 330d se demo and my 330d m-sport. I actually didn't realise the m-sport came with different brakes, but others suggest it does and it sounds like you have just confirmed as much.

If there is time perhaps you should see if it's still possible? I say that because the brakes on my car are very good, but not amazing. I simply have no complaints. Were you to give me a sub 6 second 0-60 car with lesser brakes, I may raise an eyebrow... Got to remember it's heavier than the 135 and not actually much slower at all in terms of real world driving.

By the way, if you have the ballsy 135 already, what made you go for the 330d? Most peoples 'second car' tends to be some sort of eco-effort to balance out the car they really enjoy driving
Thanks, I will have a think and decide on the brakes tonight Though I have a feeling I may be 'tearing about' less in the 330d with it being a more relaxing and comfortable drive, so save for emergency stops (rare, and when the guy behind you is likely to drive into you anyway!), perhaps they're unneeded for normal day to day use?

I'm actually getting rid of the 135, dealer is part-ex’ing it for the 330d. Few reasons really: it's time for a more comfortable drive, and the adaptive suspension looks to be great, with the option of it also being sporty when in the mood; better economy; brand new generation which is a lot nicer inside, and more tech, feels like a more mature and higher quality car; engine more effortless with the torque etc.; 4-doors for practicality; the E82 will soon be updated relatively soon, at which point it will feel <7 years old, and may drop in value considerably; deal at 3.9% for the F30 was brilliant, and I also got a good part-ex price an they paid off my finance; so not many reasons not to do it really! I also had a 335d E92 before, which tbh I missed because of the torque and longer wheelbase, it felt more planted and solid; with the new 330d engine, the performance won't be far off that, and even more economical.

The F30 is also the first 4-door BMW I've ever been interested in; it looks fantastic with the sweeping lines, and the almost coupe-like stance. For me it's time to move on to something a bit more comfortable and refined, and it seemed like a good time to do it :-)