View Single Post
      10-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
One thing I notice about mine is that you only need apply 50% throttle to make good progress the majority of the time. No need to really floor it, especially around town (30/40/50 limits) as it too fast.
How about a fast petrol? Is this the same with how much throttle you need?
I haven't a clue as the biggest petrol engine I've driven was about 150bhp a few years ago now!!
From my experience, small petrol engines can feel as it they have a hole in the power delivery, hence why so many feel they need to rev them hard to get any performance. But times are changing, the petrol engine in the 328i gives us a clue to how engine power delivery is going. Let's also remember it is only a 4-pot 2.0-litre engine.

Power delivery is much better with the larger petrol engine. Once we move to the turbo petrol engines, we have much more low down and accessible torque. After all, the diesel's only have masses of torque because they are turbocharged. Some of us remember lethargic NA diesel engines, enough to put many off diesel altogether.

I 'back to back' tested the F10 530d with the 535i, of course they are different, and the diesel initially feels the more powerful engine, with its mid range shove. But for me the petrol was the engine of choice, very driveable, without having to use lots of revs. More like the petrol V8, has a very good mid range and such a wide power band.

I find my 535i is running very low revs in traffic, the 8-speed just keeps the revs in the 1,100 - 1,700rpm range on a very light throttle. I don't feel there is any lack at all. So very similar to the way a 3.0d diesel engine works in traffic.

We have so much choice these days, can pick the engine we like the best, particularly if we are not hung up on mpg (as the indicator of costs) or are controlled by BIK and CO2 emissions for tax reasons.

I know some are against the idea of BMW petrol engines being turbocharged, (must be NA to be a 'real' engine), but for me it just makes so much sense to get a more driveable engine for road use, just as diesel development with turbocharging proved. It is a key reason why so many love the diesel, even is real running costs are equal to, or even in the petrol's favour with many cars.

I went from the 540i 4.4-litre V8 to the 330d and the simplest description of different power delivery... the V8 when accelerating was a softer feel, the diesel had the harder edge, when you floored the loud pedal. The V8 was a faster car, just did it with refinement, so felt slower. A 535d was a similar performance to the V8, but so unrefined by comparison, when I tested them while owning the 540i.

When I picked up my 535i, the final words from the sales guy. "Just watch the speed, the delivery is very deceptive". That just about sums it up, refinement can dull the feeling of get up and go.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0