Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Ok I already have a 2007 335i.
4door, auto.

I saw a 2012 335i F30
4dr, Manual. 24k km.

Which would you keep?

My e90, zero issues, fully maintained.... Always.
Turbos hav't failed yet and I am at 90km or 60k miles roughly.

I really want a manual, but heard that the auto is better in the F30 line.

Let's pretend, no warranty on either...., which would you prefer as a daily driver?

DN

I know where you're coming from. It's really hard to give up a low mileage and meticulously maintained car like your e90.

Here are some of my personal observations having owned similar cars to yourself (e46, e90 and now f30), which may help in making your decision:

-The f30 as a DD is quite an improvement over the e90. The interior is nicer and feels more modern. Whether it feels more expensive or not is subjective.

-The ZF8 auto transmission in the f30 will blow your mind. It's incredible. We are talking the best auto on the market today. Not even exaggerating. This transmission rivals much much more expensive DCT ones in $100k+ cars and M cars. It's ridiculous. HOWEVER, it still fails to provide that visceral stimulation and emotional connection which comes with a good ole' fashioned 6MT and 3rd pedal. It's impressive, but still not emotional. Some blame it on the torque converter box. Whatever it is, at the end of the day it still feels like an automatic. Which may be good or bad.

-The 6MT transmission in the f30 cars (335i in my experience) is also a very significant improvement over those MT's in the e90. I loved my e90 MT, but the f30 MT just feels better in every possible way. I am enjoying it a lot. It is not at all tiring for daily driving.

-The 2012 f30 may not be the best year to buy. There were some "issues" with the launch MY and maybe you will be stuck with fixing them. Steering vibration is the most discussed one here.

-The OLD f30 steering software was very light and felt pretty numb. They have since corrected that as well with a new software update for the EPS system, which has made the steering much more pleasant and puts it within arms length of the e90 steering feel. Personally I still prefer the more direct and taught hydraulic systems, but I am sure I can get used to the new EPS just fine.

-Another point for the f30 in terms of daily driving comes from the dynamic modes. The ability to switch between comfort, sport and sport+ modes with the flick of a button is very nice. These modes are not just a gimmick. They very much transform the driving experience.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0