shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

[QUOTE=loosenit2][QUOTE=Mark_K]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle;13227474

Let's just say I had no problem having a car that costed DOUBLE to his and he had no problem keeping the car that costed HALF. Different strokes for different folks.

Heck, even my Jetta TDI 5MT can take most of those corners at the same speed ... but the FEEL is absolutely and completely different. Some idiots (like myself) are willing to pay for that feel, even if the numbers say it ain't so :)[/QUOTE

I'm sure I'll get flamed a bit for saying this but I agree. Most folks on the boards are BMW enthusiasts and truly believe that BMWs are the best sports cars on the road and that they just happen to have a good bit of luxury to them as we'll. I didn't buy my f30 because I wanted a super fast sports car, I wanted a luxury car that I could do some spirited driving with, and I am in no way disappointed. It is super quiet, even when going 100 mph on the autobahn, the acceleration at on-ramp speeds (20-80mph) is excellent, and the handling is superb, the HUD and technology is wonderful, and BMW has done it all while still getting 30 mpg.

I am positive that BMW could have engineered a much faster car by stripping out a lot of the luxury and not making the sacrifices (turbos have lags and thus some reductions in performance) with the engine but then it wouldn't have been a BMW.

Personally I love the car I got, I didn't want a race car, I wanted a driving experience.
I'm with you, for the price point I paid, I was looking at a really nice mustang/camaro, a used Audi S4, an Evo X, or a F30...

I thought the BMW would be the best blend of performance and handling out the gate, and it came in much cheaper than the American muscle cars I was considering...fear/bad experience of owning Fords in high school, college, and grad school, brought back horrors of the recall/reliability issues I had with American cars (I realize this has changed a bit since the 90s but still).

When the F30 EPA numbers were released, I thought this was it!! Alas, I had to spend another $3000 in suspension upgrades to get it where I want in the handling department, and its not as raw as a muscle car, BUT (compared to the boss/camaro/evo)I get:
4 doors
Good mpg
Much nicer interior
Great service
Sexy body design
Tech/convenience that none of the other cars offered (HUD/CA/heated steering wheel)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0