04-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Is some of this lag issue, simply an "on off" throttle style? Both affecting the engine and the transmission management.

I'm in an N55 engined car and as long as we are using the engine with the turbo spinning, there is virtually no delay to achieve boost.

But if you are, (as has been said), on the rundown or coasting down to 1,000rpm and then boot the throttle, where is boost coming from? You are really building in the potential for turbo lag, also most likely below the boost threshold. But if you have down changed to keep the turbo spinning and spooling, virtually instant shove when you add throttle.

Try different techniques, try and picture what the turbo is doing.

I'll give an example, I'm driving along in a 30mph zone, engine just running about 1,100rpm. Zone ends you boot the throttle, rpm too low to get instant response. Same situation but a few yards before the zone ends I paddle 'down change' a gear or two, rpm increases, then as zone ends boot the throttle and instant urge. Have eliminated both any engine boost threshold/lag issues, plus the gearbox is 'sorted' and no transmission delays either.

HighlandPete
+1.

I've been practicing for the Nurnburgring this May and I've found just that. I need to keep the RPM at at least 3000 to be able to mash the accelerator and feel what I want (any lower and the hp is too low and it takes a lot longer to get to max hp) Engine acceleration from 3500-5500 seems insanely faster than from 2000-4000 and even moreso comparted to 1500-3500. So I think when I track it I'll keep the RPM above 3500 or so in the corners so I don't lose any power. Peak power comes at something like 5500 RPM and peak torque ends at like 5000. The real sweet spot is in there and conveniently gears 3-8 are spread so the upshift only drops RPM about 500. But, what most here are talking about I think is the torque which reaches peak at 1500-2000, so that's the minimum allowable if you want to be able to punch it...
Appreciate 0