View Single Post
      06-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Except Eco pro's greatest benefits come in city driving.
ON the highway there isn't much that it does other than alter the AC compressor's level of operation, and slows throttle response. If you're the type of driver who's always on the throttle like an on/off switch, then it might help a bit.
Other than that I don't see what it can actually do on long highway drives, as there isn't anything different in Eco as there would be in comfort.
Seeing 40mph as an instant read on the highway, even I've seen that in my 335i Msport when driving at the speed limit with steady throttle, and in comfort mode.
I can achieve that as well in sport mode, but I have to manually shift to 8th gear as sport mode won't get to 8th until at least 100mph.
+1

I was going to post something similar.

The common view seems to be that on the highway there is the greatest benefit, it shows it is changing the user driving style. There is more going on with the driver than the potential to save gas at a constant cruising speed. I suggest drivers are just not willing to adjust the same in city driving, because that is where the greatest gas savings would take place. Studies clearly show it is city driving and aggressive factors that use/waste most fuel, so ECO PRO in urban/city conditions has the greatest potential for any savings.

The 'sluggish' throttle response is sort of enforcing smoothness on a lot of drivers, that improves the economy. Plus I detect (and from my own experience with ECO PRO) there is a tendency to drive a bit slower (even if only a couple of mph) to see what we can get on the highway.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0