12-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #79
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I find using paint polish or waxing the wheels helps a lot with cleaning. Get the wheels nice and clean, then apply a couple of coats of Liquid Glass. It's a "paint sealer/polish" that lasts a good bit longer than wax.
It provides a decent barrier to the brake dust. The dust comes off easier after the polish, and it doesn't creep into the wheel surface as easily due to the barrier. You have to reapply it at least twice per year, spring and fall.
Wax works too though it's not as effective and you'll need to reapply it more often.

As you know or Msport brakes use a more 'aggressive' pad, which means a deal MORE brake dust. It only takes a couple of days after washing until I can see the dust again. Yeah, it sucks, but at least it's easier to clean off using the polish. Plus, you can use Liquid Glass on your windshield as it's VERY effective at making water roll right off the glass. I rarely use my windshield wipers as long as I'm going above 40mph, water just rolls off.
You can get it at Autozone and it lasts a good long while.
I also use it on my cars paint every spring after a good cleaning and claying, then a couple of coats of Liquid Glass. If you want that wet luster, wax after the polish has had a couple of days to set. Looks fantastic.
Thx. I used Liquid Glass years ago and wasn't impressed (on body). Been using Meguiars #9 followed by P21 carnuba wax for the last years and much more satisfied. Also sometimes use Collinite's Insulator Wax for a quick wax job (that's awesome) or Marque De Elegance. Oh boy...

I think I'm gonna try "wheel wax" along with the Sonax cleaner (as needed). Reviews seems to be quite good for both.

Wish BMW managed to engineer some pads that didn't dust like a desert sand storm!

Do you have 400M or 403M on your car?
Appreciate 0