View Single Post
      11-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
gt1206
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328 M-Sport EBII

I actually wanted the N20 engine when I ordered my 328 EBII. Seems like if a member prefers the N20, its like committing a sin in this forum. I simply wanted the newer engine and was impressed by the numbers it put out. I bought the car without a test drive... I knew from what I read and know about BMW...I wouldn't regret it at all.

The engine noise that people seem to hate about the N20... to me gives it an identity. The 1GR-FE V6 that was introduced in the 4th gen. 4Runner was criticized for the loud valve noise at idle when it came out...I remember customers at work demanding an engine teardown to see what the issue was. That engine has proven to be a workhorse with a flat torque curve with more than enough power...just like the N20 (torque and HP at least for now).

I could have easily bought a 335...but I wanted the N20 engine. I have driven an E90 with the N55 engine at work plenty of times and have nothing but positive things to say about it.

People need to get off the idea that 328 is for people who cannot afford a 335...thats simply not true and its people who have that view that gives us BMW drivers a bad rep.

That being said.... The engine and the associated necessary changes for the weight/gearing difference is all that I see between the two models.
Appreciate 0