View Single Post
      09-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Wilko View Post
Funny how Canada does not seem to be considered part of North America for BMW. This makes taking full advantage of Connected Drive and other BMW services a frustrating experience at best:
  • No Connected Drive Portal
  • Have to email BMW to change passwords
  • Lagging apps
  • Wonky online services and map updates
  • etc

Starting this thread so us Canadians can exchange tips tricks and workarounds for these limitations. Hopefully, we can also discuss any improvements BMW is doing to support these features better in Canada.

I know at least one forum poster who is a BMW insider involved in improving BMW online services in Canada: Canadian33. I'm hoping he will chime in to the discussions.

Sgt Wilko
I am happy to provide insights where I can and address or try and answer any questions people may have.

Although no specifics were given I will provide a quick overview of what we have in Canada and where we are going.

In terms of ConnectedDrive in Canada there is a divide between MY2014 and newer and MY2013 and older.

MY2013 and older vehicles had what was referred to as the BMW Assist Safety Plan. Coverage was for one year from the in-service date, with the exception of the F01 7 series which had 4 years of coverage.

Services generally included:
- Emergency Call
- Teleservice
- Concierge
- Remote Services
- Internet
- Google send to vehicle

Vehicle MY14 and newer are split into two main groups, ConnectedDrive Essential and Professional, with services being valid for either 3 or 10 years.

Essential Services:
- Emergency Call: 10 years
- Teleservice: 10 years

Professional Services:
- Emergency Call: 10 years
- Teleservice: 10 year
- Remote Services: 10 years
- Concierge: 3 years
- Advanced Real Time Traffic: 3 years
- News and Weather: 3 years
- Over the air map updates: 3 years

In terms of apps, we have the Connected Classic app which allows 3rd party apps like spotify to display and be controlled via the iDrive system.

There is also the BMW Remote US app, which allows you to lock your car, honk the horn, flash the lights, locate the vehicle and push destinations to the vehicle from within the app.

We don't have a store but will be launching a local solution this month that will let customers upgrade and renew their ConnectedDrive services.

Where are we going? We are working on migrating our systems to introduce the new Connected App and use the ConnectedDrive store and portals.

Canada is a legacy market, which means we had to develop our own systems. Unfortunately, over the years our systems have become dated and we couldn't keep up with new features and functionality that BMW AG introduced.

The good news is we are moving in the right direction, and there are a ton of new features and functionality that are planned for Canada based on being on the new platform.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1