08-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #138
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
My question is, why does the 3GT even matter to you if you are not in the market for it and what brand do you now see as a better fit?

I am asking because the dilution rationale to me with BMW doesn't fit because they are not making cars that compete against each other like GM. The material and build quality is improving and if BMW didn't take this route they would have been bought out by another company by now and the product would be no where near as good as it is today. BMW has never taken a step back with a product end is the benchmark in nearly every segment.

There are different levels within the BMW line for basically every consumer and truth be told, the M135i is better than any sports package or M sport car BMW has ever built and it doesn't carry the premium price of a 1M for example.

Looks are subjective and the more I see the new 1, it grows on me and surely someone will copy it and it will be even more mainstream.

I just don't see the logic in people complaining about a single product and how it will prevent them from buying something in the brand. That's like saying you dislike Cadbury milk chocolate bars with nuts in them so you won't buy anything Cadbury because of that even though they offer bars without nuts...

The term dilution is used here (and by many I presume) mainly in two contextual meanings:

1. When you don't aim at 1 cause but start persuing multiple targets, you'll lose focus and chances you hit the mark are down. For BMW I believed this single mark was bringing "drivers cars" into the premium segment, affordable for the many.
2. Bmw, and this is even worse, is no longer committed to deliver the ultimate driving machine. They want to take their part of the cake of which WV and Toyota are having a feast now. BMW can do this, by further destressing the need to build "ultimate driving cars", since Toyota and VW are not doing that either. Just build the car that causes the least destress to an ignorant buyer. Whether it's a drivers one or not, is not the issue any more.

The M135i is a drivers peach to the first press reviews. This is what a bimmer should be. But lately, raving press on new bimmers is not so omnipresent any more as in the past.

Concerning better fit? When I have to pay X€ for a 3GT, and I can buy a Ford Mondeo for no more than X€ that wins the comparison test in some magazine tests that are properly motivated, I'll by the Ford. I agree 3GT is probably on top now, but new passat is coming, like new mondeo, or Mazda 6. Gap is narrowing, that is certain.

Last edited by KoenG; 08-30-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0