View Single Post
      10-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #30
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
I wanted to ask a sound-system question...

When I was driving an X3 recently, one of the things I noticed was that the sound system was very audible on the outside of the vehicle, even with the doors all shut and the windows up. Since the system generally stays on after you kill the ignition and before you lock the car, I got out several times and noticed how loud it was outside, even though I didn't have it what-I-considered loud inside the car.

A few times I got home and parked in the drive way and after I got out I was concerned that the noise level may be enough to wake my baby son who's bedroom is above the garage.

I even had an occasion where I collected a friend from his house and at the time I pulled up, I was speaking with a customer on the phone via Bluetooth. My friend came out and told me that he could hear the customer's end of the conversation inside his living room with the car parked outside.

When I later drove a 116i, I didn't find any problems with the sound levels outside the car. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of sound insulation on the X3.

So my question is, how does the 3 stack up in this regard? Has anyone noticed any issues with the sound system being quite loud outside the car?

I want to enjoy music in my car without broadcasting to the world my eclectic tastes.