United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMA View Post
I wonder if this is why no perf. upgrade from Dinan yet?
Yeah, you'd think after all this time, they'd have the code cracked by now. The F30 has a completely different DME and also uses a "real" network instead of CANBUS, so I'd guess that it's just taking awhile to figure out how to do it. Although Dinan and BMW have a good relationship, BMW apparently doesn't share the encryption keys with them - at least, that's what I've heard. I've used Dinan software on three different 3-series in the past and always been very happy with their stuff, but this factory-authorized kit appears to be the equivalent of at least Dinan S2 if not more. It's hard to tell the difference between the MPPK on my F30 from Dinan S3 on my former E92 that also had Dinan intake and exhaust and was rated at 408 HP at the flywheel. Our M-Sport cars have the additional water and oil cooling radiators that are needed for the higher temps brought on by the more agressive software, so it's definitely underrated at an advertised 20 HP.

One item to keep in mind was that when it was time to sell or trade my E92, the dealer wouldn't even consider the Dinan equipment that they had installed for me, reasoning that the car would only appeal to someone interested in all that extra power, thus reducing their ability to move it quickly. So I found someone who was really interested in a fully-equipped Dinan S3 car and got $4K more for it than the dealer offered on a trade. But this factory kit WILL have some value as it's not in any way an "aftermarket" tune and will definitely have a wider appeal as it sets it apart from cars without it.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0