08-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Thanks all,
Long story how I got to the BM.

Extremely unhappy with Mercedes (apart from the shape - I still think that the S205 is probably the best looking tourer out there), I decided to switch brands. But to which marque?

I drove a 320d about 3 years ago and didn't feel the love. So BM was out. A few chaps in work have Audi and I've not heard a single good word said. So who was I going to choose ?

I decided to go against the grain. And get a Volvo ! I was 99% ready to click that order button, when I had a 3 day demonstrator. Oh my God! Hated everything about the car. Just couldn't get on with it. It was the D5 V60 - so about 215 BHP, but it just didnt have "the xfactor".

Damn - who am I going to pick now. I then had the pleasure of a fully loaded 530d Touring demonstrator for 5 days (which I kindly put on about 1k miles ;o) ).

I cried as I had to hand the keys back. I reckon the 530d was quite possibly the BEST car I have EVER driven (and I've been a few £80k+ cars). The 3.0d engine. The 8sp auto box. The seats. I was in love. The wife could see I was getting itchy to totally switch brands and size of car (remember, I'm in a S204 at the moment, and was looking at a Volvo V60! So the 530d was a total about change).

After handing the car back (and then getting a Merc E350 demonstrator for a few days) I had kinda forgotton the 530d as a package, but still remembered the engine and the gearbox.

Checked the prices for a 530d and it was a little more than I wanted to spend. So I've taken a plunge. I've ordered the 330d without a) even having DRIVEN the new 3 series, b) not being particularly impressed with the 320d from 3 years ago and c) not even having seen a 330d Touring in the flesh.

Me? Gambler ?

Luckily, I only keep the car for 2 years and then I get to change again. So if the car really is THAT bad (can a car, circal £40k really be classed as 'BAD'??), I get to pick something else.

Would've gone for the 335, but its not out yet it seems. All well, that what Sept 2014 will bring.
Appreciate 0