11-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #63
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Good point actually - a defensive driver can probably get better mpg than a 'slow' driver.
Yes, meant to say that Rob.....it is not just about speed.

I understand how different my driving is when I am a passenger in with someone else (I used to do driving audits, so was often in with colleagues on drives).
For example if I am lets say 500m from a traffic light that is green, I know damn well it won't be green when I get there so automatically come of the gas. Usually, other drivers will stay on the gas, and even if the light changes to red they still stay on the gas until 'braking time'. I usually time it right so that I am still in motion by the time the light has turned to green again. This 'not stopping' technique saves a massive amount of fuel, but many drivers are oblivious to the situation just mentioned.

If people think that eco driving means going slow, they should see me enter a roundabout when there is no other cars to give way to, taken near the limit, as again, I avoid slowing too much which means I don't have to accelerate much the other side either. Acceleration is the killer of economy.
Appreciate 0