View Single Post
      09-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k12f30 View Post
Base Audio is horrible. Ive been kicking myself about not getting the HK system.
I had a US spec 328i with standard audio system. I have HK in my 335i.
The base US spec system isn't really that bad. It's actually pretty good for normal volume levels. The bass is a bit accentuated, but the high end is pretty good and not as fatiguing as it is in my HK system.

The HK has a more powerful amp and that allows it to be turned up louder without as much distortion compared to the standard system.
HK has an EQ but I'm finding it kind of useless.

CD's sound excellent in the HK system, and don't really require much if any EQ.
FM sounds good as much as FM can. FM HD does sound better, but my HK receiver needs an antenna booster as reception is lacking with my HK.
Satellite offers a LOT of options, but the audio quality SUCKS. It's not as good as FM. It's cleaner than FM as it's a digital signal, but the extensive compression used for sat radio makes for a harsh sound quality, nothing sounds full and rounded. Couple that with the HK metal dome tweeters and you can't turn the high end up too much as it gets even harsher and fatiguing over time. In the final analysis the US spec base audio isn't bad at all, and HK "upgrade" is NOT worth the $950. Yes, it's better and plays louder, but not $950 worth.
I can't speak on the Euro base audio as I haven't heard it.

I am going to swap the HK metal dome tweets with a good pair of 1" silk dome tweets that I used in my 03 325i. High end should mellow out.
And I need to have BMW service look into the poor FM reception. The FM booster may not be working very well, and if not, then it may need a new and/or better booster. That too is disappointing for a $950 "upgrade", the base system in the loaner had better radio reception.
Appreciate 0