Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
My dad never drove BMW's.

I have personally been around BMW's for a while. This is the first time I feel this threat to the brand-culture integrity. Did not feel it with the e90. Did not feel it with the e46.

Sure, I'm sure brands like Kia, Hyundai and even Subaru have enthusiasts too. BMW will be the next one. Commercial enthusiasts, ricing up cars and talking about how low they can drop the car, how awesome the sound system is, and how many subwoofers they can fit in the trunk.

I'd rather not be one of them.

Sales will likely be up AGAIN, next year. I never questioned that BMW will continue to sell cars. Actually, they will sell a lot of them! Just not likely to same people/demograph is has been attracting and selling to for the past 20 years.

Again, it's great for BMW ... bad for enthusiasts. The brand has a lot of pressure to appeal to more people. To become more bland. More "safe". Which probably means less people buying sport packages. Less people ordering Manual Transmissions. More 'user friendly' driving experiences (electronic steering). More 'ready-out-of-the-box', and less confusing options to pick from (aka, Sport, Modern and Luxury lines) and less customizations.

Oh SNAP, it's already happening! The future is here! Bring on the sales numbers!
MY GOD! You're right! The sky is falling! Soylent Green is enthusiasts!

Just FYI, I've been around BMW's for awhile too, as I imagine pretty much everyone on this board has been. I lived through Bangle-ization, the intro of I-Drive, the SMG grenades, and the unwashed hordes that buy automatic trans. And my E92 is the best car I've ever had. It's better than the E46, which was better than the E39, which was better than the E36. And when the new M4 comes, I'll pays my money and find something I don't like, come here, and bitch about it.

In the meantime, you can have my turn at agonizing about BMW forsaking it's aging veterans by selling more cars. And remember to look down your nose at all the unworthy new people who are buying them. Because they just can't be enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0