11-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Great write-up NISFAN and always interesting to hear what others make of the 328i. Like Mungogrubb, I plumped for the petrol mainly from a refinement perspective and because having been driving mainly diesels for the last 5 years I fancied a change. The 328i certainly ticks that box, first time I drove it through town on a summer's day with the window down I was struck by how quietly I was gliding along, compared to years of hearing diesels chattering away in the background I couldn't really hear this engine at all.

As for the power delivery I think you've hit the mark there. It's very quick but very linear in a 'ho hum' sort of way. I had a Soarer with the 2.5 VVti turbo engine that was very similar, hit the gas and you just got steady strong acceleration but with little 'character', no evil grin from the power-plant saying "Here ya go matey" like a big turbo diesel dishes up. Not saying that makes the car any less entertaining, both the 328i and the 330d will go from yawn to very silly speeds faster than most stuff on the roads which is where all the other characteristics that define the F30 come into play much more.

Fuel economy is an interesting one as we've mentioned before. My first few tank-fulls saw around 35-36mpg and that included keeping the revs down for the first 1200m, way off the claimed 44mpg for the combined cycle (not that I think that would ever be achievable). However, as I'm approaching 6K miles I'm now getting nearer 39mpg and that still includes having fun at regular intervals plus there's the added bonus of knowing I can get 50mpg on a long motorway run. Can't get near the achievements of the 330d, but not too shabby for such a capable petrol engine. Worth remembering also that while the petrol car's mpg is worse, there are many other factors influencing overall cost, not least the higher initial cost of the diesel, so maybe not quite as bad as it sounds.

In all honesty the 328i is a victim of the 330d (much like the 335i is, well in the UK at least) not because it's inherently bad in any way it's just that the 330d is so good by comparison. Around launch time of the F30 most reviews were very positive about the 328i with reviewers applauding BMW for being able to get so much out of the new engine compared to its three litre predecessor. Many said they were amazed at just how well the 2 litre performs and how quick it is being a mere 4-pot (with reports of it being dyno'd showing 240bhp (at the wheels) and doing the 0-60 dash in only 5.7s).

Would I swap my 328i for an equivalent 330d now? Well who wouldn't want a faster car that's also more economical Do I regret buying the 328i? Well again that's only because the 330d is now available and as is often the case with men and cars, something better comes along and your hormones start shouting "You need that buddy!" In all seriousness though, every time I'm out (without SWMBO on board!) on the country lanes round here, the 328i brings a smile to my face.

I'd agree, the 330d is definitely the king right now, in fact I'm not even sure a 335d would be much of an improvement other than for bragging rights. But if you do find yourself behind the wheel of a 328i then don't be too disappointed, it's still one helluva car
A very honest take on 328i ownership..Well said Rob!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108

Last edited by F30FAN; 11-02-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0