View Single Post
      07-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #53
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I was trying to remember the sport line wheel and taking note on my 135i. If the Msport wheel is thinner than the 135i, then it's not much thicker than the sport line.

The sport line wheel looks nice, but not differentiated enough from luxury and modern, as it's the same wheel.
Sport line should have got the Msport wheel, or something different from lux and modern.
As you said, no biggie, just BMW could have done better.

The Euro market gets the stand alone option for the M wheel, and we in NA don't. Just like Msport doesn't get the brushed aluminum option, or red stitching with black leather.
It's just really ridiculous. Seems to take more time and effort to figure out who gets what in what market, than to just give every customer the same choices. Hell, the cars are built on the same assembly line.
Unless they have special assembly lines for NA market, right hand drive market, Canadian market, etc...
The people working on the assembly line must have to deal with too many freaking variations that only serve to limit the customers choices.
I have owned 9 BMW products ( I count Minis as BMWs) and this has been the most frustrating ordering experience. They have always tended to put one item in a pricey package that forces you up market ( in 1999 I wanted the shadowline trim for my wife's 528--that required buying a sport package)
With my Minis I wanted the chrome trim around the back valence..that required a whole chrome trim pack and having to change back the mirror caps to white).. You wind up with something you don't care to pay for to get what you want.

I wrestled a dozen times over sportline vs M sport, all over the steering wheel. But in the end, I did not want it bad enough to deal with the rear end treatment of the M sport. The red trimmed black seats, 70-30 but , why not --is it because of the estoril trim availablity ? And why the dark walnut from the 7 vs. the "sportier" fine line anthracite ( z-4, 5 series) as the wood option. DUMB.

If the M sport steering wheel was a stand alone option for $800., I would have checked it off. They did have me leaning to spend $1500. more and take something I hated for one item I loved. Not this time , BMW.

The "packages" always had some restriction. But now its bringing in colors and trims as restricted items. Why do the sportline cars all get black mirrors but the M sport gets body colored. I am forced to buy new mirror caps and have them painted at the body shop to get what I want. IMHO , this is ass backwards. Give the M sport the black mirrors if its more "sporty" in their opinion.

BMWNA needs to re-think the limitations that put on us vs. the ROW. I won't stop buying their cars because of the driving dynamics but they are starting to p me off.

Last edited by emtrey; 07-08-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0