02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #104
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
We intend to over the course of the next twelve months show a body in white of either an existing or future BMW to show the use of future material technology.
Their is a very strong vocal that our first mainstream car out with BMWi will be the next generation 7er. And will show the potential of how that car compared to the current model will drastically drop in weight.
When you combine CFRP , aluminium , magnesium , thermoplastic and press-hardened steel which will filter down within the BMW portfolio even spreading into additional models for the high end premium segment.

BMW intend to use the i3 launch to also publish a report showing how cost-effective CFRP is for BMW compared to our competitors and you will be impressed. As full investment could probably have accommodated rival vanity projects to our competitors , BMW chose to focus. That is why it will be right to wait because not only will it be cost effective but profitable unlike one of our competitors.

One such example is the MINI Rocketman concept. Today it is unthinkable because it would very expensive to do if we look beyond the concept detailing and focus on the CFRP floorplan. Such a concept this size and of mass volume production would be feasible for 2018.
I pulled out of my M135i order in hopes of a BMWi product.... and more race prepped car in the garage

I am invested in BMW's commitment to the future and CF in more ways than one...