View Single Post
      02-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #120
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degreeman View Post
I respectfully disagree with "Real drivers start from 0mph". haha... do you think this will fare well on a multiple turn race-track? In a hairpin turn, you do slow down to ~5-10 mph and shove your foot down the throttle on the exit of the apex. 5-60mph times do matter...arguably more so than 0-60mph.
0-60 runs are drag race type racing, not road course racing.
When I say "racers" in this context, I mean drag style racing.
A real drag race starts with both cars standing still, at 0mph.

Road course is not about raw power and putting all of it to the ground all at once for the fastest run to end of a straight line.
It's about control and balance where a less powerful car might even win a race. BTW, do you always shove your foot all the way down at the exit?
Just wondering, cause that may not result in the fastest lap depending on the course. But, I dig what you're saying.

As I said, acceleration runs are about putting all the power down into forward motion to get to the end of that line as fast as possible.
When I consider 0-60 or 5-60 I'm not thinking road course.
That spec wasn't started with road racing in mind. It became standard as that is what American muscle cars were about, straight line acceleration.

Oh, and btw, 5-60 is not a test that is favorable to turbo engines to begin with. So, by it's very nature you'll get data that only serves to give the wrong idea and impression.
Appreciate 0