General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Automotive magazines exist for one purpose and one purpose only:

To sell automotive magazines.

Look, you don't want to hear this but I'm going to say it anyway. There is nothing wrong with the BMW 3 Series. Your problem isn't the car, your problem is you. BMWs customers have spoken, and we got exactly what we wanted. The car is larger, softer, more powerful, and more comfortable. All for virtually the same money. The 30-year-old E36 driver of 20 years ago is now 50. He grew up. He doesn't use local streets as a dragstrip anymore. He needs a car that's larger to haul the kids and the family dog, he needs a car that's softer to relieve the pain on his aching back, he needs a car with all new technology to support his iOS devices habit.

Nobody cares about hydraulic steering, unsprung weight, road feel, exhaust notes or any of that other faux-enthusiast nonsense anymore. We're not 30, we're 50. BMW wouldn't have built the car this way if the facts were different. The car has moved on; now so must you.

BJ
This just a stupid statement. I was a 26 year-old E30 driver. I had the car for 18 years and moved on to a E90 in 2006 because to me it was closer to the E30 than the E46 was. Sorry, but 50-year olds like me do care about hydraulic steering, unsprung weight, road feel, and intake noise and exhaust note, so go speak for yourself not everyone in the BMW community. I did seriously consider the 1st gen Lexus 300 in 2005/06 and it was no E46/E90. It felt like a Toyota. BMW built the F30 for a wider audience to sell more cars and make more profit; all good reasons, but it lost some enthusiasts as a result.

Your other statements say Cadillacs are for 60-year old, poorly dressed non-enthusiasts, and then go on the say the F30 is for 50-year olds well dressed non-enthusiasts; so which is it, BMWs are for the soft over-50 crowd (where Cadillac apparently already is) or BMWs are still the cars for the enthusiast driver.

I've moved on, yes, hopefully the ATS will fill the bill.
Appreciate 0