View Single Post
      11-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #89
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but for those with a plastic oil pan and drain plug, what was "tight" for you? I know the torque spec is 6 ft lbs, but for those without such a tiny torque wrench, I wanted to see everyone else's opinion. I hand tightened mine then tightened with an Allen key until I felt some light resistance. The bottom of the drain plug is barely (and I mean barely) below the oil pan hole flange and the groves on the plug and pan are lining up. I drove the car 100 miles and checked the plug again and there was no seepage or any oil on the felt access panel, so I think I'm good to go. I've searched and searched and it seems everywhere, to include YouTube videos, just says "make sure not to over tighten it" but did not show the plastic plug being put back in or mention the grooves on the plug and pan.

I know I'm probably being super paranoid, but in all the zillion times I've done oil changes, I've never had to deal with this. Give me a metal oil pan and drain plug.

Since this is the wife's car and it's still under warranty (but not maintenance), I think I'll just take it to the dealer from here on out.
Appreciate 0