View Single Post
      03-06-2024, 03:52 PM   #41
StuieUK
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d LCi

Here's my deal:
Picked up 2017 335d (standard) in Oct 2021 (private sale)
Last service was at 53k (i bought at 62k)
I had it mapped to 370 in Jan 22 (at 62k miles, as didnt use it until Jan)

At 66k (June 22), i sent it in for full service + brake fluid)
At 69k, the warning came up saying oil at Minimum and needs 1ltr top up !!!!! (to which i accused the Indy of not putting enough oil in ! )
At 75k, i had an oil change, including the ZF gearbox full service kit. (Jan23)

In same month, i had my map re-applied, as it turned out, BMW Cotswold had wiped the map in Oct 22 when they did the "EGR Cooler" recall.
At the same time, i had the EGR coded out and blanked.

Since the EGR Cooler recall, several times after leaving that dealer (Oct22), i had drivetrain issues with limp mode.
In short, turns out BMW somehow damage/relates to damage around the "pressure converter" for the big turbo,
so at 78k miles in April 23, i had both pressure converters and hose replaced which solved my drivetrain/limp issues...

At 89k in Feb 24, just had full service (all filters)....

Car drives well, car doesnt smoke, car dont let me down, car doesnt leak oil since keeping eye from Sep 22.....
Car sometimes shows 49 - 50.5mpg when cruising on motorway at 70mph with suitcases in boot on route to airport.......

Yet i keep castrol in the garage, and top up 1ltr probably every 2-3k miles (when it shows up on the screen that oil is at min and needs top up)

I've done 2k miles in the last month (few motorway trips), on the i-drive oil check, it shows i am half way between Min & Max.....

My take ? Like women, there not all created equal, both will still ruin you for years, but some will drink you dry without a trace quicker than the other... Same for our oil
My car - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=3747 = i look after it, so i can only assume the oil fairy is drinking it!!

Last edited by StuieUK; 03-06-2024 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0