View Single Post
      08-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #52
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

That scenario is all but entirely unlikely given that part of the rationale behing new naming strategy is to place coupes, Gran Coupes, and convertibles upmarket from their sedan, touring, and GT platform mates.

Additionally, what they are doing is creating further brand differentiation between models that were already going to be coming anyway. The market for 5 door models is growing due to countries like China, and the market for 4 door coupes is growing due to the success of cars like the Mercedes CLS and VW CC. BMW is entering the game because to sit back and watch would be to yield the market to the competition and ultimately be determental to their business.

So in the end you have an influx of new models due to buyer trends, and you need to come up with an over-arching naming strategy to accomodate. At the same time, you also want to take the marketing approach already taken with the 5/6 and propigate that throughout the lineup. The resulting product mix, which we will begin to see next year, is actually a very logical step, and one that should provide a huge increase to BMW's global sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
Which leads me to the dilution idea.. If I looked at BMW and they had a

1 series
Coupe
Sedan
Gran Coupe
Hatchback
Wagon

3 series
Coupe
Sedan
Gran Coupe
Hatchback
Wagon

5 series
Coupe
Sedan
Gran Coupe
Hatchback
Wagon

6 series
Coupe
Sedan
Gran Coupe
Hatchback
Wagon

7 series
Coupe
Sedan
Gran Coupe
Hatchback
Wagon

...I'd be concerned on what the company is trying to sell me? Or tell me? Or where their roots are.

It's just confusing as all hell.

Where is the line drawn??
Appreciate 0