11-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #38
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
Yes the VVS is just the same steering rack as standard except it is machined different at the bottom, so to make it less turns lock to lock.. So it costs BMW the exact same to manufacture but cost Joe punter an extra £250.. why than you!! (information supplied from my friendly BMW sales person who was shown both on a training course)
A variable rack is much more difficult to manufacture and to package, so to say it costs the same is ridiculous. If it did it would be standard fitment across the range. Tip: never ask a salesman for highly technical information, some are technically minded most aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
So if the two racks are so similar (except a little machining of the teeth), why is it that:

1) a number of folks (including myself) who have driven both say that VSS has better feel [when both in Sport or Sport+ mode] during normal driving, not just parking lot maneuvers (subjective, but not an uncommon observation); and

2) of the many complaints on this forum about "steering wheel vibration", only one of those complaints comes from someone with VSS?

I suspect there are more differences, software and/or hardware, between the two.

My .02,
Because they aren't 'just a little machining different'. The two racks are significantly different. Maestro is correct in saying the ratio's are not that different up until 90-100 degrees of lock, but the mechanism is different, so the overall feel is different too.
Appreciate 0