12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #104
Majdnoon
Welek Ya Kelb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Just no idea how this doesn't totally cannibalize F30 sales.
My thoughts exactly. My first thought when I saw the rendering was "okay with this baby out, who the hell would buy a three series?!?" Guess its logical to assume the price/engine differences would stop the cannibalization of the 3er... but still I will wait and watch to see what happens. Wonder how the sales numbers will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano10 View Post
For those in CA, look at in and out burger. Keep it simple and stay very successful. I think BMW can keep the same success
That's sort of a bad analogy. Not only does In n Out have a "secret menu" (aka more exclusive, hahaha) but also if BMW kept their model line-up simple, they would continue to be successful, BUT small. They aren't as big as Daimler, Fiat-Chrysler, VW AG, etc. It's ONLY BMW, Rolls-Royce and Mini which are owned by Beemer, unlike VW or Daimler which own myriad brands that span nearly every price range and market. The only thing stopping BMW from being bought up by, say Volkswagen (shudder) is their business strategy.
This is why they're expanding the hell out of both BMW (activehybrids, FWDs, GCs and GTs, etc) and Mini (what with their SUV and their upcoming 5-door). BMW cannot remain small, otherwise they'll be bought out. Is it diluting their brand? Who cares? Does it really matter? They'll survive and not be bought out.
I've said it before on other forums, I'll say it again. Look at Porsche. They've done things that have been considered diluting, and even sacrilege to the Porsche brand (a 4-door, an SUV, the Boxster) since the late 90s and early 2000s. And look at how damn masterfully good the 991 is. This type of strategy gives BMW more money to invest into the things that matter to us enthusiasts (the ///M brand) and also gives them more market share, entailing survival.
Appreciate 0