Thread: Today's the day
View Single Post
      03-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Tiller
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 3 Series

Ok so the car turned up at 13:30 so not too much waiting to do. It came on the back of a giant enclosed lorry packaged up with a Fiat Punto. I was a little bit annoyed to see that it wasn't immaculate outside and the lorry driver had smeared some grease on the beige plastic of the door handled whilst driving it off the back.

That aside first driving impressions are positive, it feels very, very tight in terms of the engine and gearbox but I'm hoping with my 600 miles/week commute it will be a lot looser by the same time next week.

Some observations:

- Average mpg was 57.2 on OBC on a fastish commute involving a cold start (2.5 degrees) then backroads followed by the M25/M1 combo at around 75ish in eco pro. Realistically I was expecting over 60 in these kind of conditions but it was cold and the car is not run in.

- The steering - A lot has been said about this but I took it out on some favourite roads last night and it did seem to be well weighted, quick and accurate in comfort/sport. In eco-pro it is admittedly a bit baggy with too much play and then sudden heft/movement it seems very non linear.

- Suspension - As I mentioned I have the adaptive suspension, first question; does anyone know if I can set this up independently of driving mode? Either way in comfort it is pretty much as good as a Jaguar XK I drove recently which is to say very good. It does get caught out occasionally but it's nowhere near as bad as my old 123d coupe.

- Other - HK audio is good, DAB absolutely rubbish but free so who cares. Toys and electronics I've yet to get the hang of, the car wouldn't connect to my rubbish old Samsung E2550 (cheapest in phone4u) so that's getting binned. More annoying was the inability to stream music via the basic bluetooth from a mate's Iphone 4s.

More observations and pics to follow. So far very impressed though.

P.S does anyone know whether I need a Y cable connector to play music, maybe that's the issue?
Appreciate 0