08-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #215
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpt View Post
I registered here just so I could contribute my experience with this issue.

My new (leased) 328i Sport with 6MT (no variable steering) has the steering vibration problem from 40-60 mph, which I originally assumed was just a matter of the wheels not being properly balanced.

On my first service appointment the wheels were rotated and underwent the roadforce balance procedure. They said it was better but not fixed and that I needed to bring the car back so they could start a PUMA case to work with BMW directly. At least they acknowledged the issue.

From my perspective there was no improvement in the steering vibration after the rotation and re-balancing.

At the follow up service appointment BMW authorized my dealer to swap the tires for a different brand. I started with Pirellis and now I have the Goodyears. They said the shop foreman did extensive road testing and they were sure I would be happy with the results.

The vibration is perhaps minimally improved with the different tires but is still definitely there. I think they're hoping I'll live with it.

I test drove another 328i Sport model while mine was in the shop. It also had the steering vibration but is much less prominent than mine. I might not have even noticed it if I hadn't already been so sensitized to the issue. So it seems to me that this is some sort of design issue and is unlikely to be remedied by multiple trips to the service department.

Some of you have requested video evidence. The vibration can definitely be seen in the steering wheel and is present in all driving modes. It is more than annoying; it interferes with the core driving experience. Everything else about how this car drives and rides is great. Very impressed with the performance and gas mileage.

Other than that I now have some regrets after acquiring this vehicle. It would have been a deal killer had I known ahead of time. I'm glad I don't own the car and that my lease is a relatively short 30 months. I'll just follow this thread and hope that BMW will come up with a credible solution for those of us with this issue before too long.

--
Unfortunately your experience mirrors many others here including myself.
Sorry to hear your car has the vibration and hopefully BMW is actually working on this vice giving lip service.
Good Luck!
Appreciate 0