S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Really?

There isn't much difference at all between the 328i sport and 335i sport in terms of handling. Both are built on the same chassis.
The 328i has slightly less weight up front, but that only gives initial steering a slight advantage. I changed the tires on my Msport to non RFT's and the steering response has improved, it now has a slightly lighter and quicker response.

The handling difference between the 328i and 335i is very slight and mostly shows its self on a track. Over all both versions are pretty much the same for the obvious reason, they are on the same chassis.
Less weight up front provide the 328i with closer to 50-50 weight distribution, less propensity toward understeer and less mass overall. Those all help. It's not a night-and-day difference, but they're not the same when pushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
This MPG thing comes up a lot, but where's the proof?

At this point the 328i AT and 335i AT have the same MPG rating city and highway. For day to day driving I don't see how there would be much difference in MPG as both cars use the same trans with the same gearing, and will require the same power output.
The only place on Earth where they are rated the same for MPG is in the US using the somehow magic 8AT, so obviously there are different laws of physics in the US than the rest of the world. Here in Canada where we get an identical machine, the differences between the models are plainly stated. Much like in the rest of the world.

If you believe that the 8-speed automatic gives the 328i worse mileage than the manual, but magically gives the 335i better mileage, but only in the USA, well that's your choice.

However, the difference is really not that much, and certainly wouldn't have influenced my decision.

As for any of this 328i fanboy nonsense, I've already stated quite publically that I would MUCH rather have the 335i, but I can't afford it. I'd much rather have more power versus a tiny edge in steering or mileage. It's no contest for me.

Also, I'm not a boy, and therefore can't be a fanboy.

What am I then? Extremely analytical, and more than able to admit when one product is superior to another product within one area or another.

I bought an xDrive, which features both worse mileage and worse handling, and I'm not shy about admitting that. But it was still the right vehicle for me.

But this thread is about Cadillac, and what they've done. And bravo to them for pushing things that far! I'm interested to see what the Aussies will do in terms of building a nice Holden with these parts.
Appreciate 0