View Single Post
      02-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #96
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danforz View Post
So then the car doesn't really go 0-60 in 4.7... he simply manipulated it, in a manner which cannot be consistently recreated, to do so.

I just don't get it. I was hoping this would be the video to settle but alas, no. These car companies are either using roll outs or some strange launch control instead of just giving the consumer actual 0-60 times. Its as if they're trying to get the most controversial number, not the most accurate.
0-60 tests are designed to get the best results not the most repeatable results or the results you and I would get. They find the optimal revs that won't spin the tires and with an AT brake torque to that point and dump the brake and mash the throttle at the same time. With a MT they find the right revs, dump the clutch and mash the throttle. They also often correct for humidity and elevation.

We spend a lot of time here gnashing our teeth over 0-60 times but what's relevant for most of us in the real world is the feel we get in the seat of our pants. Nothing more.
Appreciate 0