03-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #38
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Yes, it's a bit smoother and no more stalls, but still annoying to me.

Stops and restarts are smooth about 60% of the time, but when it's not smooth, man, it shakes the whole car like it's a school bus starting on a cold morning!

I mentioned the rough start again after the update to the mechanic and he went on a drive with me. He agreed that the restart still shakes the car pretty severely (especially with a restart due to the A/C demand), but that it's "normal" (jeez, I hate that word) and that there's nothing more he can do about it.

I just coded ASS off and leave it off all the time now.

I really do like the idea of ASS, I just can't see such that the major shaking as being ok for the engine/trans/starter as far an long term longevity goes.

I guess I wouldn't be so concerned if I was only leasing the car for 2-4 years, but I keep my cars a long time and plan on keeping my F30 a long time too.
After writing this yesterday and remembering that they updated my cars software again when I had the 15K oil change last week, I tried enabling ASS again to see if the behavior changed. I normally just leave it off.

Anyway, the stop/start roughness/shaking/jerking is 90% gone! I'm just amazed BMW was able to smooth it out this much just via a software update.

Running errands today with ASS on and at least 20 stop/start cycles, they were hardly noticeable and 2 or 3 of them I didn't feel at all (and I have a very sensitive ASS).

Restarts were very smooth, quick, and quiet. For me, I think I may be able to live with leaving ASS on most of the time now.

So, the next time you take your car in and they update your software, give ASS another try!
Appreciate 0