03-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5iv3 View Post
I do find a lack the low end torque compared to a diesel engine but you have extra revs on the 320i to play with and it just climbs and climbs up to 7k! Its just a different style of driving and I personally don't miss the diesel clatter noise one bit.

I find the 320i engine pretty balanced between power/economy and it's very refined. I was thinking of pushing my budget to stretch for the 328i but my brain (and wife) told me not to. As fun as the 328i may be, I guess after the honeymoon period, I will probably cherish running costs more than a few quick blasts down some A and B roads! And it's not like the 320i is a sluggish car.

I drove the car down the M6 to a wedding yesterday and managed 45.2mpg which I was pretty impressed with especially the engine's not even been broken in yet!
Interesting. I have also gone from a 170BHP diesel engine and am having to "re-learn" a petrol engine. I do find in Sport mode that the engine seems to be very responsive, so i've not missed the torque a great deal yet, the smooth delivery making up for it. I've not gone past 4,000 revs yet as still running in so i haven't been powering up steep inclines which is where i most enjoyed the torque in my diesel. I would imagine though that the 8AT will just step down to ensure the power. As for economy i've been getting only 28mpg so far but on a commute littered with temporary lights and the start-stop wasn't able to come on yet. I know the xDrive adds weight but i'm hoping my economy will start to climb a bit!
Appreciate 0