03-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #14
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
Interesting. I have also gone from a 170BHP diesel engine and am having to "re-learn" a petrol engine. I do find in Sport mode that the engine seems to be very responsive, so i've not missed the torque a great deal yet, the smooth delivery making up for it. I've not gone past 4,000 revs yet as still running in so i haven't been powering up steep inclines which is where i most enjoyed the torque in my diesel. I would imagine though that the 8AT will just step down to ensure the power. As for economy i've been getting only 28mpg so far but on a commute littered with temporary lights and the start-stop wasn't able to come on yet. I know the xDrive adds weight but i'm hoping my economy will start to climb a bit!
Deffo agree with what you say about good torque in sports mode.

When I test drove the 320i xDrive in January, I remember the power really serges after about 4k revs so you really need to give it some to unlock the potential of the engine. I haven't really pushed my car yet, but I can feel I'm currently holding it back with my conserved driving style trying to take it easy.

I find when I'm pulling out of junctions etc I always put the car in sport mode as the the eco pro and comfort just don't feel zippy enough to quickly pull out, especially when the roads are busy.

I think with the petrol engine, you need to give it a bit more revs when pulling away compare to when I was driving a diesel. I think 1.5K revs in a diesel is not the same as 1.5k in a petrol, it's probably more like 2+k revs!
Appreciate 0