View Single Post
      10-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
So, I picked up my car from the dealer service department around 5:30pm EDT today; M Performance exhaust and H&R Sport springs installed, Sirius enabled. (I have to go back during a weekday for the A.S.S. last user setting coding) I've been driving around this evening trying to make my assessment of the new mods, and overall I'm very pleased with the results.

Now that the exhaust is mounted and you can only see the tips, it looks NICE, very nice. My initial reaction when I opened the box is a distant memory after seeing the M tips protruding from below the diffusor.

The sound is not as loud as I expected, others have said "25-30% louder" than stock and I'm not sure if it's even that much. When I first started the engine and pulled away from the dealership, I couldn't tell any difference rolling through the parking lot-- the change from stock is subtle, there is more bass in the cabin when the windows are closed and the overrun burble in sport mode is definitely more pronounced. Under hard accelleration the combined sound of the engine induction noise, turbo and exhaust is sweet and exhilerating, but not over the top. I'm not able to roll down my windows yet (5 day wait after new tint application) but I did a couple pulls through a nearby tunnel with the sunroof open and it sounded very nice. I suspect (read: hope) the sound will "mature" a bit with some more miles, as I have encountered with other aftermarket exhausts in the past-- I would like a just a little bit more bark and growl to it. It's clearly quieter and less aggressive-sounding than the Performance exhaust for the E90 (N54 and N55). I think the average bystander won't even notice that it's an aftermarket exhaust--which, in general, is good to me. I chose this exhaust because I didn't want something too over the top or obtrusive in a daily driver. I will try the "golf tee" mod tomorrow to see what, if any, difference that makes.

I know, I know..."where are the pics and videos?!?!" My apologies, it was already dark by the time I got home, I will post some pics and attempt to capture the sound on Sunday.
Sounds good. From youtube videos the E90 with N55 sounds awesome, i am hoping my F30 sounds real close to that. And yea, from what people say it sounds better after 1000 miles.

Let us know if the "golf tee" mod does anything and any sound clips would be awesome.