View Single Post
      01-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #288
reallyreallyslow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
They're identical in terms of design, the only difference is the variance in terms of quality. What determines the different part numbers? Not the design in this case.
The part numbers of the short engine is identical & it's only the earlier 320i's that have different turbos.
The compression ratio is different on the F30 but on the E84 & F25 they're the same. The tuners do not make a distinction between either "versions" of the engine.
The full engine type numbers of the 20i & 28i are N20B20U0 & N20B20O0. The N & U only signifies the state of tune & there's nth to suggest they're different in any sense.
It isn't simply limp mode on the 20i or anything cos so far ALL tuners managed to get only around 220ps from the 20i. None have to far reached the stock output of a 28i.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about...or you probably have been lurking around forums for too long picking up some wrong info.

Please do yourself a favour and look up the part numbers. The n20 white paper might also help you a little.

Turbos are same part number.

Short engine have different part number, unless your car has the low compression option, S858A. N20B20U0 is not a part number. When the 20i engine is ordered with the S858A option, you will get the exact same engine as the 28i. That is the one with part number ending in 7079. If you order the 20i without S858A, then you get the 11:1 engine with part number ending with 8912 or some other number. Last I checked, S858A can still be ordered for F30.

When you say all tuners, you obviously have not looked enough, because my 20i engine is making over 235hp, with room to go higher if I wanted.

To know why tuners cannot get 250hp out of a 20i engine, you need to first understand how are these cars "tuned". All these tuning options, like TMC, speedbuster, JB, swiss chiptech, hartage...etc are not really tuning your engine. What these tuning boxes are doing is simply take your boost sensor reading, make it lower, then feed it back to the car ecu. Some will also read other sensors and "fake" the readings accordingly.

How does that make so much more power than? It simply allows your engine to run a higher boost than the engine thinks it is running.

When do you get into limp mode? When you over do the added boost, the engine detects abnormal parameters, it will start throwing fault code, at least mine and a few others did.

It was fine on the dyno after tuning. Does it mean it will run perfectly fine on the road? No, it might not. There is still a chance of throwing fault at high speed. Why? I honestly don't know.

How is limp mode like then? Well, there are variations. In any case, you either lose all power with idrive prompting error...or the engine shuts down by itself.

How do I know? Been there, done that and got scared the shit out of me the first time I got limp mode. This is because cars are expensive here. F30 316i cost over USD150k here. Yup, a 136hp 316i F30, 150k usd. F30 320i will be another 20k premium.

Would love to share with you more, but I can't because I am not paid by BMW or any tuner...needa go make some money for dinner tonight.
Appreciate 0