View Single Post
      01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #302
reallyreallyslow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynycbimmer View Post
That's a lot of tax. Are all cars hit with a fixed levy or does it increase with the value of the car? How much would something like a 911 cost over there, which retails here for about USD 120K?

I guess you have an interesting used car market too.
Tax+greedy dealer. There is only one dealer for each brand of automobile. That means you either buy from them or fark off. Tax is structured such you pay a "buy car permit" price(fluctuating) that is currently close to 80k usd. Then a further import and registration tax of 127% of the open market value is paid. That means, a typical 535i will pay a total of 130-140k usd in tax, depending on the trim/options.

The dealer's profit margin they make from selling a base f10 here is probably enough to buy another base f10 in the states. So add that all up and you have the crazy car price.

911s pdk will probably go for around USD400k with another 3k for annual road tax and possibly insurance premium of close to 5 digit. One should probably add another couple of grand to actually use the car during peak hours because we have something called the electronic road pricing which is kinda like congestion charges.

Might seem cheap if everyone was making truck load of money. Unforunately, typical "all in benefit" of a young engineer with a 2-1 or better is only between 40-60k, before tax. Couple that with crazy housing price, inflation and everything else, few can really afford a proper car.

Based on "performance", our prime minister was paid close to usd 3million for the past couple of years...That money has to come from somewhere right? In Singapore there is no corruption that happens under the table because they take it legally, right in front of your face. Come to think about it, I might actually pay less if the goverment was corrupted.
Appreciate 0