08-31-2012, 01:26 AM   #145
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Matski, Certainly the opinion I have is highly determined on reviews by magazines. I do believe that car reporters are more skilled than I'am and they have the time to test all these goodies. I don't. I guess that evo, topgear, autocar,autoexpress, carmagazine, autozeitung, automotorundsport, autobild, caranddriver, motortrend and some others have a lead concerning evaluating new cars.

For example, I read the good press on the M135i and I would buy that car on a glance based on the omnipresent feedback towards drivers values. But I also read undetermined press on the 125d, the 6-series, the 5GT. Or do I just ignore all of that and believe my own opinion, based on any hands on experience, weights more? Based on what actually? Or have you driven the 50+ new car releases the last 2 months yourself?

The 5 last cars I've lived with last 12 years where also BMWs for in total about 800.000 kms, and I appreciated their balance, their lack of torque steer, the fact they felt composed and rigid, you feel the front wheels in the steering, the firm shift change, their motoring efficiency, and some more. I see this reflected in the reviews to a high degree, so there is the congruence between what I read and feel.

The point is that you're conscious and pre-occupied about the driving charateristics and dynamics of the car, when you value that, the BMW has an advantage. When you value space efficieny and low cost, and traction in the snow you'd better go elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents.
I think that your determination on a product that is best for you based on what others say is misguided. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but many of those larger publications have their own agenda, they have their own desire to feel they can make a company change its product portfolio and many of those reviewers can't drive or even take the time to learn a product. I have seen it all too many times first hand.

Controversy also sells magazines- if you say that the BMW Y model sucks it is going to sell paper. There are also the conflicts of interest with advertisers and the general way a magazine targets its demographic; an enthusiast publication is going to like harsher more performance oriented products while a more lux mag is going to like a smoother ride and plush fittings.

There are few out there in the mainstream media that shoot straight and they are often ousted by the editors or bounce from publication to publication- Chris Harris is a prime example.

Sure- take those reviews as a means to get some info but always do your due diligence and get behind the wheel- there is a huge difference between a Mondeo and any BMW; but there is an agenda there... as is there with Land Rover and Jag products- drive an Evoque and you will understand that it is mediocre at best and that the worst BMW is leaps and bounds better yet one received countless accolades recently.

I try very hard to shoot from the hip and review honestly- I have no conflicting interests and believe that being honest is in best interest to everyone involved, but that is only possible when you do things for the right reasons and not just money or pressure from sponsors. Consumer Reports while they may not be enthusiast oriented usually does a fair review of mainstream products...