11-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #111
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
I dont think youre going to see as much as a difference between the '12 and '13s as you normally would with 1 model year difference. The 12 was essentially only a 6-7 month model run, and I think you'll see that reflected in resale values. Also think about your warranty, both 12 and 13 model cars bought this year will have warranties until 2016. There will be a difference, but I don't think it will be significant.

I would be more worried that you can get a '13 for invoice. Not even 1 year of sales and BMW is already selling their hottest cars at invoice. That sounds more like GM, Ford, Chrysler, and that worries me when I think about resale. Where's the pricing going to be 2-3 yrs from now? Seems like invoice is the new MSRP, at least in the US that is.
Warranty is based on in service date, not model year. So yes, they'll both include the same warranty duration. No matter how you slice it, when you fast forward 4 or 5 years out, there will be a delta in value. Mid-year introductions/short model years generally don't have an impact.

Bear in mind the 3 Series is BMW's entry level line. There's no reason NOT to expect dealers to discount the cars substantially. More importantly, remember that you're only point of reference with regard to selling prices is these online forums which are an infinitesimally small sampling of overall sales data. Folks on forums tend to be rather well educated and equipped to negotiate deep discounts.

The great majority of new BMW sales are actually leases. The great majority of buyers don't have a clue how leasing works and thus are likely paying significantly more than you might imagine (or they even understand).
Appreciate 0