General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Thanks Frogman.
Can I still VO code an ECU with the lite version? By reprogramming the ECU software, does that mean updating it to the latest version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Yes, you can still VO code with the lite version.

ECU programming/flashing is what the dealer does when they update the software. I have not seen any procedures for doing that here, but I've seen Shawn mention it a few times, so I think some people are doing it. It's not something I would want to play with, especially with a car that's still under warranty. I think the .swfl files are being used by people doing retrofits.

I would think that flashing an ECU would be much a more risky operation than normal coding and I don't know what BMW service would do if the car software level didn't match their records.

BTW: The full 49.1 dataset is 17.6GB, 13.6GB of which are the .swfl files.
As Frogman wrote, flashing an ECU is risky. If something goes wrong, the ECU can be bricked, and you may have some trouble getting a replacement under warranty.

The vast majority of people need only the Lite Version.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0