View Single Post
      08-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #34
carlr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i

Hi folks,

I thought I would share the progress on the amp rack. As I originally showed, the intention is to squeeze the amps (which are quite big ) into the small storage compartment below the trunk floor:

Earlier on I contemplated having the amps fitted at an angle, but after measuring it didn't seem feasible if not raising the floor, which I don't want to do. I chose to have them mounted flat to maximise space in the compartment. I started out by measuring from the underside of the trunkt floor and calculating the different offsets between the mounting panels and supports and compensating for material. I also factored in that I wanted to allow for the lower amp to breath adequatly as well. I also had this idea I wanted to build in some "cable management" into the mounting panels, will see if this will work practically when routing the cabling further on. I measured the mounting panels and routered grooves for the cables:

As mentioned above, I wanted to allow for some breathing space for the lower amp (even though I have never had any temperature issues with these amps in the past) and routered openings for where the fans are fitted:

So basically this will be the principle:

I also fitted threaded inserts for the amps to allow for proper maintenance. Next I test fitted the amp in the car to check for height etc:

Content with the test fit it was time for upholstry using the same vinyl as before, test assembly of the parts and both amps. Lower mounting panel and supports:

Amp 1 fitted:

Amp 2 fitted:

When doing the initial measurements, i realised the storage compartment was not level with the trunk floor, it had a slight forward angle, which I had to compensate for. This can easily be seen on this side shot:

Apart from the amp rack, I also took the opportunity to make a fine adjustment of the sub box to the surrounding panels. I taped off the surrounding area, fitted the box and applied Rage Gold around the edges of the box, will be sanded and upholstered tomorrow if time permits
Appreciate 1