11-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I think this whole issue of what we term fast or slow, depends on what you expect in an average BMW road car.

I see a steering system that gives just 2.2 turns lock to lock, with an average ratio ~12.2:1, as much faster than the standard 2.7 turns, with a 15:1 ratio, in this same application.

E92 M3 has 2.4 turns lock to lock, (again variable) with an average (overall) ratio of 12.5:1, so the F30 with VSS is not doing too bad is it?

HighlandPete
But it's not linear. You can't say it has an average lower than the "standard" Servotronic because in normal driving, as I've said a bazillion times, it's nigh-on identical. From 0-100 degrees there is a maximum of 3% difference in the driver's steering input to achieve the same angle at the wheels. That's identical in anyone's book. Just because it suddenly goes much faster from 100 degrees to full lock does not make it a more sporty rack. It's not even a quicker one To all intents and purposes it's exactly the same.

The only time you actually benefit from the faster lock is when you're parking and manoeuvring since that's the only time you ever apply more than 100 degrees of lock. Sorry if I'm repeating myself but it's a very simple process to understand