View Single Post
      09-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Many threads on this same topic already.

I haven't had a front plate in IL for the last 10 years, NEVER gotten a ticket for it, and thats driving some pretty hot cars (Z3M Roadster -red, Z4, Z4M coupe -int blue, X3 M Sport -red).

Last month I got pulled over for going 38 in a 25 (really wasn't paying attention), I was going through a nice area and thought for sure he would give me a ticket for speeding and no front plate. He asked why I didn't slow down after I passed him and I just said I didn't realize I was going that fast, was just in a hurry to get my kids, he saw two car seats in the back and I am guessing thats why he let me go, who knows. He also asked about my front plate, I told him we just had the bumper replaced and they didn't have the bracket in yet. NO TICKETS! couldn't believe it, he could have easily got me for like $200 in fines.

Long story short, as others have said, it is illegal and is a fine, but really depends on the cop. I see TONS of cars with no front plates passing tons of cops every day, they really don't care as long as they can read your back one and you haven't riced out your car. It also probably depends where you live, certain cities probably are @ssholes about it, up in the Northern suburbs and west suburbs its not a problem.
Appreciate 0