Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 ///M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
It would be great to read your thoughts on the various considerations that are popular around here... some of those being:
  • Changing Just Springs - Many guys go for just lower springs (e.g. H&R Sport), with a similar spring rate to OEM. I have been considering going with slightly firmer springs, only about 1/2" lower, with matching bump stops. (Dinan plans to release a spring/bump stop kit in January 2014) Seems like these would match up well with the stock adaptive dampers in Sport mode...
  • New Shocks/Springs - e.g. Bilstein B8/H&R Sport springs have been popular and well-regarded
  • Coilovers - KW V3, Bilstein B16, TC Kline, etc. More adjustablity than regular shocks, but maybe not necessary? I've heard that the JRZ kits are in a different league altogether in terms of both comfort and performance...
  • Stiffer Anti-Roll/Sway Bars - I've seen claims that these will address the lateral body roll issue without doing much to change individual shock damping... but I've also heard that too stiff ARBs can be counter-productive.
Anxious to hear @Racer20's response to this. I imagine just changing springs throws off all the calculations/model so far that you lose the effective damping system and calibration, but then again it sounds like changing wheels/tires also does this, so maybe it's an acceptable change.

I'm in the market for a used F30 and some have the adaptive M suspension and some don't for a similar price point. All things being equal, at this point I'm not sure I'd want the adaptive system or not. I always say I won't mess with the car's suspension, but a few years into ownership I change my mind I won't want to regret the decision either way.
Appreciate 0