View Single Post
      02-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

loading contact addresses from iPhone?

My 1000 or so phone numbers in my iPhone 5 loaded fine, from the little I've tested them. I have my phone connected with the USB cable, and enhanced bluetooth and the tech package on my 2013 328ix, if that matters.

However, the addresses don't work. They do show up in the car, just with the street, town, etc. scrambled, not in a format that the navigator uses. Sometimes important details are missing, other times it looks right, but if I try to set the address as a destination, it asks for everything again - state, city, street address ... .

I tried a quick trip to Seattle BMW: Their first opinion was that the iPhone 5 is not yet compatible, second was that I could schedule an appointment, leave my car and my phone (?!) and they would look into it. Then I called Bellevue BMW: The cradle due in June could work better, no opinion how much is possible for the iPhone 5 now. Maybe a Y connector with thunderbolt adaptor will do better, maybe not.

I see from Googling that addresses worked with an iPhone 5 for someone with a 2010 550i, which encourages me to thrash some more.

So I have 3 questions:

1. Do contact addresses just not synch right from an iPhone 5, so that the addresses don't show up as working destinations for navigation? I don't really have to email each address individually to my car from the map in BMWremote, and then create an entry, do I?

2. Should I spend $80 to try the Y-cable?

3. And will the cradle work better, when it is finally available in June or whenever?

Someone must have tried to synch contact addresses with an iPhone 5 before now.

Last edited by JohnVidale; 02-02-2013 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: improved clarity in my question
Appreciate 0