View Single Post
      02-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #42
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

No flame suit as I mostly agree.

But I dont see how adding power to the 335 bridges the handlng gap. Power does not improve handling.

To me the handling advantage is on one side the power on the other. Problem is the power is easier to exploit and notice compared to the handlng where the track highlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
It is always a bit silly that we feel the need to virtual or otherwise 'race compare' the 328 to the 335.

Mod for mod the 335 will always be faster in a straight line, end of discussion.

In stock form, the 328 has a slight edge in handling. Duh, 100lb on the nose of the car will do that for you. The 335's power advantage makes up for alot of that in stock form. Now start modding it, the power to weight advantage will start to swing in the 335's advantage and that 100lbs will become less meaningful with higher hp (the 335 will be granted more to play with as you mod) making up for the difference.

Go look at the lightning lap, a feather light car with 250 hp and superb handling still wont match a 600hp beast with 'good' handling.

Both are great cars in their own right and have wonderful engines. One just happens to be bigger than the other. I think the 328 owners like to harp on the better handling (it may be better, but come on, how much?) and the 335 owners like to testify how much more powerful the engine is, yes it is, but it's not like we're talking about double the hp or anything. Both arguments are valid, but are also marginal.

I'm biased to the 335 as I have one (obviously) and think that the added power of the 335 is more noticeable than the handling advantage of the 328 in the majority of cases where you're pushing the car.

/flame suit on

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0