Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksting28 View Post
UPDATE:

Originally, my dealer thought wind noise (described best as a "shushing" noise that starts at 40 MPH) was due to folded window seal. After replacing, the sound continued (and the window seal refolded). I decided to do some experimentation. I took masking tape and covered different gaps around the mirrors and windshield to try to isolate the offending area. When I taped over the gap between the windshield trim and the car frame, the noise stopped. I took the car to the dealer with the tape in place and demonstrated for them. It appears that the windshield trim was placed 2mm too far from the frame, which allowed air to flow between the trim and car frame causing a "shushing" sound. I'd noticed on my loaner that the trim should be flush against the car frame...so I knew I might be onto something. Got my car back and no more "shush"...now it's just a hush. I still have the side mirror whistle at 55 MPH plus, but not much I can do about that. At least city driving is more peaceful.
Thanks for the update. I'm going to be taking mine in in a week or so for the 15K oil change and need ammunition to get my wind noise addressed.

Could you post a picture of your new windshield trim? I think it's officially called drip molding.
Appreciate 0