11-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

In all honesty the 328i is a victim of the 330d (much like the 335i is, well in the UK at least) not because it's inherently bad in any way it's just that the 330d is so good by comparison. Around launch time of the F30 most reviews were very positive about the 328i with reviewers applauding BMW for being able to get so much out of the new engine compared to its three litre predecessor. Many said they were amazed at just how well the 2 litre performs and how quick it is being a mere 4-pot (with reports of it being dyno'd showing 240bhp (at the wheels) and doing the 0-60 dash in only 5.7s).

Absolutely right here, the 328i is a great car, and to be fair still will have a big following for those that prefer the smooth option. I am amazed at how it pulls cleanly from even low revs, no hiccup, no power delay, no drama. No doubt it is quicker than most metal on the roads. The low rev power delivery is very evident when you are cruising in 8th and you have 2000rpm on the dial, it accelerates cleanly without having to downshift (astonishing from a 4 pot 2l). Actually in this area it is probably even better than the 330D. The 330D at the same speed would be a good 4-500rpm down in revs and does need a downchange to perk it up.

I compared it to my Subaru Sti that I had a few years ago, as that was also a 2.0litre turbo petrol, and similar weight to an F30 I suppose. There is absolutely no comparison at all, the Subaru had a definite 'powerband' and as it wasn't torque limited, felt like it had more character through the rev range. It did pull much harder but it was the 305hp 306ft.lb Prodrive version. The Subaru struggled to return 24mpg, and would require a change down to accelerate from a cruise on the motorway
Appreciate 0