View Single Post
      04-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Still is the best "bread and butter" 3-series ever.

Personally I believe the 'chatter' on the steering is over the top, something for the press and forums to talk about. The basic 328i steering that I tried was light, that's true, but precise, more precise mid position than my hydraulic steering is, in an E91 wagon (and from new).

Motoring in Europe has moved on, BMW is a brand driven by folks who are generally not car enthusiasts, so want lighter steering, the heavy feel of previous models has received criticism by many drivers.
I've yet to test drive the new 328 to get to feel what all magazine reviews are saying, but I guess you might be right since you have actually driven both cars. A lighter steering is definitely a plus especially for non car enthusiasts. I hope with the new M3, the hydraulic steering should be retained. The heavy steering feel should be confined to the ///M cars, not on the new 328 and 335 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
As a matter of fact I'd say 'yes'. Having had 7 hydraulic BMWs(e46/90/81) and one electric(F10)

And a lot of EU/UK mags find the steering actually just very good, if you choose the sportsteering.
I have to admit, I'm doubting the new electronic steering based on magazine reviews. I really have to test drive the new 328 to really feel what you mean.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0