04-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #100
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
i am NOT sure BMW will read this forum but:

1) more comfortable suspension without compromising handling. the magnetic dampers would be just fine. I think the original run flat designed suspension is a flop. After having driven my E90 on generally poor roads on 17in rims during 5 years, and an occasional euro trip and Autobahn blasts, my conclusion is that the suspension on regular roads for E90 is weak. The car tramlines like crazy. I'm not gonna put 18s on here even. No point. It is very skittish on poor rutted roads, so typical in northern climates where spikes dig small ruts over winter, in asphalt (not granite but regular made black tarmac). On Autobahn, the car is fantastic and very comfortable. Simply amazing. It goes to 150-200 and you don't feel it. For a small car, this is truly impressive. I'd like them to sort out the skittishness in the bad road. My wife's 05 Audi A4 S line drives smoother. That's not right.

2) Better ergonomics in interior. Despite BMW being one of the best in ergonomics, I feel E90 is a bit of a let down on couple of things. First, the placement of window switches is awkward on pre-Lci and you can often open rear windows. Second, the steering rim will overlap the top part of the speedometer in seating position. I'm 6.1 and I think it's average height so I'm sure my complaint here is not too uncommon. Third, the placement of Radio controls etc is too damn centric. I want it facing me. Now it's kidna pointless, in noman's land. I also think it's time to do away with monochrome display units. It's 2011....

3) Get a handle on windshield supplier. Pinkelton has to be dropped. They are awful quality windshields. Saint Gobain holds up MUCH better. My Pinkeltons' were switched over 3 times in 3 years. Nasty, soft stuff.

4) The soft touch paint is a disaster. cheap sure. But it peels after 3-5 years on handles, console. I think it's bad.

5) The fit and finish of interior has to be better than currently. I can see the metal surface of doors from interior, and it's uneven. There's some places where door cards don't meet the a-pillar directly so some gap shows metal through. it's nonsense. Looks cheap.

6) The amount of crickets and noises in interior is way too much for this car. Behind the went. The seatbelt area. the seat. Behind the dash. Come on BMW, this is too much.

7) Expand the base model spec. I want folding seats and xenons as standard. Heck, I want the manual to be a free option too. 2k Euro for auto box is stupid.

8) Make sure that the offset of the rims is not too conservative (or track is wider). All of E9x on rims narrower than x8.5 look silly. More flush fitment standard. If Merc and Audi can do it, so can you!

9) I wan the HUD as option. I think it's the best damn gadget I'd use.

10) as mentioned above, need a decent sized glove compartment and or storage options (hooks in trunk, etc). With a kid, you realize this car is COMPLETELY pointless unless it's a Touring. that's not right. Make a car that doesn't force customers to switch. I'm thinking about this right now.

That's all that's wrong with the current generation of the 3er. I think it's a great car, fantastic looking (i am a fan of bangle's work though) and handles well. But dampening issues above would be my top complaint.