View Single Post
      11-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #35
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

The Mk6 Golf GTI is a very cleverly made cheapish car sold at a premium price. It appears to be of high quality but it is not. What it does quite successfully is to give an excellent false impression of quality.

What I don't like:
The doors don't hang properly on most of the samples I have seen, misaligned bonnet, hard plastics everywhere except on dash top and door trim tops, very flimsy door cards, on leather specified cars most of it is fake and the leather itself is of very low quality, the 18" Monza Shadow wheels suffer from 'whiteworm', the sound deadening is woeful, the Sat Nav is a shocker with terrible sound quality, the ride is horrendous without the adaptive suspension in comfort mode, horrible road noise whatever the tyres, only undercoat paint in bonnet area, under wings, boot area etc, car came with a wonky rear bumper which was a production fault, options cost a small fortune, terrible fuel economy ......

Got all the above production faults sorted under Warranty, though VW Customer Service gave me a very hard time to get the rear bumper replaced.

What I like:
It still looks fabulous IMO, it's got great front seats, the steering wheel feels and looks superb, the Jacara Cloth seats are beautiful, the 18" Monza Shadow wheels are eye candy, it drives and corners reasonably well, nay very well, there is a lack of wind noise, it's very realiable, does not rattle on bad roads too much, the VW Service Dept I go to is superb .....

I still love my Mk6 GTI and it makes me smile alot when I drive it. It's still the best hatchback. However, I will love the BMW even more. Of this I am sure.